Mathematics is essential to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering, and necessary in most forms of employment. It is a powerful subject and it should be fun and enjoyable for everyone. It is an essential life skill and it is for this reason that Mathematics plays a vital part of the curriculum at Roose Primary School. Mathematics provides a way of viewing and making sense of the world. It is used to communicate and analyse information and ideas to tackle a range of practical tasks and real life problems. At Roose, Maths is taught through the White Rose Maths Scheme.
“Our aim is to develop a whole new culture of deep understanding, confidence and competence in maths – a culture that produces strong, secure learning and real progress.
By building confidence, resilience and a passion for maths, we can show that whatever your prior experience or preconceptions, maths is an exciting adventure that everyone can enjoy, value and master!”
White Rose Website
At Roose School we:
* follow a core curriculum format ensuring that every mathematical concept is introduced, reinforced, mastered, consolidated and extended through further investigation.
* understand that mathematics is an essential part of communication and to give children opportunities to describe, predict, interpret, demonstrate and explain using mathematical language and conventions.
* ensure all children experience appropriate practical and investigative problem solving activities, presented in both oral and written form.
* encourage children to learn number bonds and times tables and become confident in developing their own mental mathematics strategies
* encourage all children to have an eager and positive attitude towards mathematics and to develop their curiosity.
Mathematics Subject Lead
Maths Planning and Assessment